I do love the idea of gathering these bulbous beauties and eating them though, and that's exactly what we did. Apparently wild mushrooms can be very poisonous if you pick the wrong kind (we all know what happened to Babar's mother, don't we?), so let this be my disclaimer: DO NOT pick and eat mushrooms unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain they are the non-poisonous kind.
I had my mushroom expert with me though, who is very clear on which you can and can't eat. We wandered around my yard and pasture, picking the loveliest we could find.